Thursday 26 June 2014

Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes.



Yesterday, I made these chocolate coconut cupcakes because I thought they sounded like a really yummy flavour combination and I've got to say I was actually really pleased with how they turned out as they tasted lovely and I kind of just made the recipe up on the spot. I adore Bounty's but, I know they're not everyone's cup of tea. Does anyone else find that when the celebrations tin goes round at Christmas you always get left with half a tin of Bounty's and Milkyway's which, nobody else wants? That's always fine by me though as I think Bounty's are delicious so, while everyone else is fighting over the Galaxy's and Maltesers, I'm happily munching away on a pile of Bounty's. 

Anyway, I'm starting to feel like a bit of a Bounty saleswoman right now with the amount of times I've said Bounty in this post so I will stop now. If you do like the combination of chocolate and coconut though, I hope you enjoy these cupcakes! In a few weeks I am going to trial this recipe again too and add in a chocolate and malibu ganache so, I will let you know how that works out, I'm hoping pretty well as I can't really think of anything more delicious than a cake oozing with chocolate and malibu ganache right now!

Recipe
For the Chocolate Cupcakes-
110g butter, room temperature 
220g dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
165g self raising flour, sifted
55g cocoa, sifted
½ tsp. bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp. baking powder
140ml sour cream
For the Coconut Frosting-
520g icing sugar
90ml Coconut milk
115g butter
100g desiccated coconut
Plus extra desiccated coconut and 12 chunks of bounty (chop two bars of bounty into 6 pieces) for decorating.

Method
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°c.
2. Place 12 muffin cases into a 12 hole muffin tin.
3. For the chocolate cupcakes, cream together the butter and sugar using an electric whisk. Gradually beat in the eggs and add the sour cream. Sieve together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and delicately fold into the mixture.
4. Divide the mixture into the 12 cake cases and bake for 15-17 minutes or until the sponge springs back when the surface is pressed lightly.

5. Place the cupcakes on a wire rack and allow to cool.
6. Whilst the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the coconut frosting. Beat together the butter and icing sugar. Pour in the coconut milk and beat again until smooth and fairly thick. Stir through the desiccated coconut.
7.  Next, place a fairly deep layer of about 100g of desiccated coconut into a bowl, tray or on to a plate. Cut a small hole in the centre of each cupcake using an apple corer and fill with the coconut frosting. Using a palette knife then spread a layer of the coconut frosting on the top of each cupcake and roll in the tray of desiccated coconut to completely coat the top. 
8. Finally, place a chunk of bounty on the top of each cake and there you have it; twelve delicious chocolate coconut cupcakes to enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment